I thought today I’d pass along some of the “RV Life Hacks” I have tried myself over the years. Nothing is quite as satisfying as coming up with an inexpensive method of saving space, time, or money because it all adds up to making life with your RV that much more pleasant. Let me know how these work for you!
– A bag of ice helps clean your black water tank. This may sound a little odd, but it works very well. Before you leave the campground, purchase a bag of ice and place it in your toilet with about 2 gallons of water and a drop in toilet chemical. You will be surprised how much cleaner and fresher your black water tank will be.
– Clothespins, like duct tape, are a must-have item in your RV. Use them as chip clips, for laundry, and (my favorite thing) for securing the trash bags, there are so many uses for these in your RV.
– The uses for WD 40 are also endless! If you own a fifth wheel you’ll find that this simple product may be the way to keep wasps away from your hitch and save your hands, too! I’ve also heard that if you get stung by a wasp, a little spray of WD 40 takes the fire out of the sting…and here’s hoping one of yall will tell me before I find out for myself!
– A simple swimming pool noodle can help cushion some of the slide out corners on your RV and can also protect your windshield wipers while your RV is in storage.
– Vinyl shopping bags are so helpful when packing and unpacking your RV. Use your vinyl shopping bags (like the one you get from PPL) to load all of your linens, clothing, housewares, pantry items, etc. They are so easy to carry into the RV. Once the bags are empty, simply fold them flat and store them until you can fill them up with your dirty laundry and other items you are planning to take back into the house. No more boxes and containers eating us space!
– Ever worry about breaking your wine glasses in the cabinet while traveling? I found a perfect use for my koozies. I slide them over the wine glasses and they protect the glass in transit. I just hate to drink wine out of a plastic cup!
– I hate the thought of spilling bottles of cleaners like window cleaner, counter top cleaner and, most importantly, any cleaner with bleach in it. The wipes are terrific and so easy to use, but they will dry out when left in the RV too long. Store your open containers of disinfectant wipes, window cleaner wipes, and all others in Ziploc bags in the RV. It is amazing how much longer they last.
– Looking for a way to prepare a fast meal on the road. Next time you are cooking taco meat, chili, browning sausage for tacos or even shredding chicken for a casserole, think about RVing. Take time at home to make more fun time on the road. I always store these items in freezer bags and take they are always ready to go for a last minute RV weekend. Then all I have to do is bring the fixins and my meal on the road is ready in a snap!
– Are you afraid of food particles going down the sink in the RV? After all, you don’t have that handy disposal there. I place a coffee filter in the bottom of the sink while I prepare a meal. It is amazing home much it will catch and it’s easy clean up.
These are just a few of the many hints I have heard and tried. The list goes on and on and I would love to hear from each of you about the many hints and tips you have discovered on your own to save time, money, and space. Enjoy your RV travels and make sure to visit me on RVNana.com.